Close

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Well... I would say that this escalated quickly, but it started off really bad.

Listen, cipher0, we're trying to help you. Honestly.

But if you don't think that any of the things people have said will work for you, then my advice would be to just not get a printer.
    If you aren't willing to take the chance, or work with your builds after printing, then there's nobody here who can help you.

Sorry to Necro Post

Hi guys, I want to buy a 3d printer. I can get a commercial quality FDM printer with lead screws and a cnc attachment for ~1500 dollars. I want to buy it and I have the cash too but I also want to make money off it. To those of you that sell printed parts how many do you usually sell and how long has it taken you pay for the printer? I only ask this because I don't want to be out 1500 dollars. Also, what types of printers do you use? Are you using an FDM printer or an SLS printer? I'm really ambitious about 3D printing and want to get into it but I don't want to throw my money away.

Engineer
    Making money off FDM technology is really bad. The end product is total "crap" as fast prototyping. Unless it's really specific. But then I would suggest you to go for SLA,SLS,DLP technology.

Pricing isn't honest either. It's either the client or the owner that will get screwed. The client doesn't want to be charged for a high ammount of $, when material and electric cost is low. And you can't just charge low price, because you're spending several hours to print his model...

Quote Originally Posted by Haswell View Post
    Hi guys, I want to buy a 3d printer. I can get a commercial quality FDM printer with lead screws and a cnc attachment for ~1500 dollars. I want to buy it and I have the cash too but I also want to make money off it. To those of you that sell printed parts how many do you usually sell and how long has it taken you pay for the printer? I only ask this because I don't want to be out 1500 dollars. Also, what types of printers do you use? Are you using an FDM printer or an SLS printer? I'm really ambitious about 3D printing and want to get into it but I don't want to throw my money away.
    Have a look at DWS system, FSL3D and FormLab. They do cost A LOT, but they are worth it since you can justify with the high cost material, laser class safety and all other excuses. You may advertise yourself around engineer school, because there has to be few people that is willing to pay you the money for printing service.

Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    Making money off FDM technology is really bad. The end product is total "crap" as fast prototyping. Unless it's really specific. But then I would suggest you to go for SLA,SLS,DLP technology.

Pricing isn't honest either. It's either the client or the owner that will get screwed. The client doesn't want to be charged for a high ammount of $, when material and electric cost is low. And you can't just charge low price, because you're spending several hours to print his model...

Have a look at DWS system, FSL3D and FormLab. They do cost A LOT, but they are worth it since you can justify with the high cost material, laser class safety and all other excuses. You may advertise yourself around engineer school, because there has to be few people that is willing to pay you the money for printing service.
    That's the thing, we have a print shop where we can print for free. The printer we build is a gbotz printer and it is using the rambo board. IDK how fine the resolution can get. I would like <100 microns. The main reason I am interested in this one is because I get a CNC with it and the school can help me program it. You don't think it's worth the time to try to make money with an FDM printer?

Engineer
    Students and teachers have been asking me quotation, and to be honest, I've seen it all.

Good are the times when someone has designed with the technology in mind. Those are just quick and fast deal. Then you get those
    Unprintable shape, annoying specific request, parts that are not worth to print and stubborn request.....

Here's a story I have to share with you

I got my teacher requesting me once and he told me " Print this rotor from a compressor, and a stator make sure you print at the slowliest speed, and at the highest resolution. I want the rotor to be beautiful without flaw. Oh btw, that thing has 7 to 9 inch diameter by 2-3 inch in height"
    I mean seriously, with all the overhang blade, you can't just expect a decent print. There will be residus from the support. Not to mention his request always cost me 15 to 39 hours of printing at 35% infill.Yet ,he insisted to have 100% infill, till I said no.

You will get far better chance with SLA. At least, the printing is much more reliable and has less fail rate. It's less forgiving with complexe geometry.You can then charge from cubic inch + support.

Well... There is the full spectrum.... If I can print a 3D-Prostetic for somebody.... I'll spend a lot of time to make it right. But it will be what it is and it won't cost them a penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Well... There is the full spectrum.... If I can print a 3D-Prostetic for somebody.... I'll spend a lot of time to make it right. But it will be what it is and it won't cost them a penny.
    Have you tried selling anything made by FDM. I really don't have the money to spend 3k on an SLA printer. Do you know what the best resolution I con get with FDM is?

If you don't know what to expect, design a small thing and have it printed in both technologies either on shapeways or 3Dhubs and you'll see. Will cost you a few bucks but at least you'll be able to take the decision on facts.

Engineer
    I have used my fdm printer to make parts that in the past year was enough to pay for my printer 6-7 times over. It wasnt a cheap printer either. There are many other people in the same boat. As just a printing service where you are printing a part for someone then i have to agree with everyone else. Its a pia and no money to be made irregardless of the printing technology. If you have a low production run of a product and need plastic parts then thats a different story.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    look at 3dhubs.

basically a3d printing service that matches people who want stuff printed with people who print stuff.

I'll be signing up soon :-)

And for the record - at the moment fdm produces stronger and more durable models than 'cheap' (under $10000) sla machines. Also faster and with a lot more available materials.

Okay you probably an't do 0.02mm layer resolution. But then who wants to spend all day printing something 1 cm high ?
    This obsession with detail is somewhat pointless. The vast majority of things people want made can be readily printed at .2mm.

I would personally charge more for anything printed at 0.1mm.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast