Close

3D printed Massive Rolex Sub watch

New to this forum - hello all!.

My latest large project - a 300% scale Rolex Submariner watch.
    Based on my Thingiverse divers watch http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:260944 but with lots more detail and multi coloured. I'm going for a reproduction of the Steel/gold version, so i'll need to source a nice gold and silver filament - Faberdashery in the UK have some nice stock.

Printed a few test pieces just to get a feel of the scale - winder, clasp. It's looking 'big'

Mainly a test project to get my new Ultimaker2 dialled in - the UM is great at 0.06 but not so sweet at 0.2? Need to do a bit more testing. And i'll also use my good ol' MB rep 2 to double up printing.

Keep ya posted

cheersIMG_4155.jpgIMG_4154.jpgIMG_4151.jpgIMG_4148.jpgIMG_4156.jpg

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Thanks for the pics!

I have been impressed with the output of the Ultimakers, starting to get tempted, just wish the cost would come down a little.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by francfalco View Post
    I'm going for a reproduction of the Steel/gold version, so i'll need to source a nice gold and silver filament -

Would it OK to use gold foil over printed sections?

OME

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Would it OK to use gold foil over printed sections?

OME[/INDENT]
    I think the main problem for any application like foil or 'chrome' effect paint on a 3D printed part is that the surface has to be perfectly smooth.
    For a FFF part it would take too much post work to achieve, certainly for PLA.

If using ABS you may be able to smooth the surface off with acetone maybe - then it may take a foil application?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Thanks for the pics!

I have been impressed with the output of the Ultimakers, starting to get tempted, just wish the cost would come down a little.

Agree, the Ultimaker isn't the cheapest printer, but having had experience of using a MB Rep 2 (good though that printer is) the Ultimaker is in a different league imo.