Close

Problem with extruder hitting the build plate

I just got a rep2. This is a "factory refurbished" model so not technically a brand new one.

was running the leveling script for the first time, making sure the paper slides between the nozzle and the build plate. As you know, it goes to 3 points on the plate then, for the last test, it goes to the center. however, when my extruder goes to the center and the bed raises up, it doesn't stop till it slams into the extruder. You can see the extruder assembly move due to the impact and of course, since the nozzle is pressed against the plate, no piece of paper is going to slide between the two.

the build plate is not warped. I can put an aluminum straight edge across the surface and it indicates flat. Just in case I flipped it over and tried again but same results.

i assume this isn't supposed to happen ? The LCD screen says I can still proceed with loading the filament but I don't see the point. It's like the Rep2 is instructing the bed to raise too high for the last, center, leveling test.

I emailed makerbot but haven't heard back yet. Anybody had this problem before ? This is my first printer.

for what its worth, problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
    I just got a rep2. This is a "factory refurbished" model so not technically a brand new one.

was running the leveling script for the first time, making sure the paper slides between the nozzle and the build plate. As you know, it goes to 3 points on the plate then, for the last test, it goes to the center. however, when my extruder goes to the center and the bed raises up, it doesn't stop till it slams into the extruder. You can see the extruder assembly move due to the impact and of course, since the nozzle is pressed against the plate, no piece of paper is going to slide between the two.

the build plate is not warped. I can put an aluminum straight edge across the surface and it indicates flat. Just in case I flipped it over and tried again but same results.

i assume this isn't supposed to happen ? The LCD screen says I can still proceed with loading the filament but I don't see the point. It's like the Rep2 is instructing the bed to raise too high for the last, center, leveling test.

I emailed makerbot but haven't heard back yet. Anybody had this problem before ? This is my first printer.

ended up speaking with a makerbot tech and he told me not to be concerned with the extruder having hard contact with the build plate after it moves to the center. He said it shouldn't have any affect on the prints and he was right.