Close

Technician

3d metal printer?

The only affordable metal printer I could find is this one and it is still being developed: indiegogo.com/projects/minimetalmaker-a-small-3d-printer-that-fabricates-with-metal-clay
    Is there any other consumer metal printer like that? Preferably not over 1500$.
    I could wait for that one, but the print quality doesn't seem very good at this point (objects seem melted, very flattened compared to the 3d models in the computer) and the 5.8cm cubic print size is just a little bit small for me.

Super Moderator
    AFAIK, the only other really practical metal 3D printing techniques (SLS/SLM/DMLS/EBM) are still patent-encumbered (though I think at least some of those patents expire later this year). Additionally, they require lasers of significant power (hundreds of watts), and (I believe) an inert gas environment.
    Last edited by Compro01; 01-02-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by cipher0 View Post
    The only affordable metal printer I could find is this one and it is still being developed: indiegogo.com/projects/minimetalmaker-a-small-3d-printer-that-fabricates-with-metal-clay
    Is there any other consumer metal printer like that? Preferably not over 1500$.
    I could wait for that one, but the print quality doesn't seem very good at this point (objects seem melted, very flattened compared to the 3d models in the computer) and the 5.8cm cubic print size is just a little bit small for me.
    Hi, cipher0. Every Hyrel 3D Printer will print with Metal Clay. One of our modular heads, the EMO-25, will print in.... lots of stuff. I have a list at http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...-Compatibility

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be happy to do a skype/teamviewer session with you, where you can operate and see the printer work.

-Davo
    Last edited by Davo; 01-02-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Hi, cipher0. Every Hyrel 3D Printer will print with Metal Clay. One of our modular heads, the EMO-25, will print in.... lots of stuff. I have a list at http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...-Compatibility

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be happy to do a skype/teamviewer session with you, where you can operate and see the printer work.

-Davo
    That's great to know Davo. Unfortunately your 3d printers might be a bit expensive for my budget. Though they look extremely good.
    And VAT TAX in my country is 20% and another 12% for customs so yeah...

There is also a welder based machine being worked on. The concept is interesting. The weld head is stationary and uses the welding rod as the print material like a normal plastic extruder would. The print bed is on an updside down delta setup so the pring bed handles all the axis movement.

I still haven't found any examples of prints but the concept is sound. Just a matter of finding out how detailed one could get.

http://www.techienews.co.uk/973657/a...d-opensourced/

Technician
    I've tried finding another printer with a syringe/clay extruder like the "EMO-25" head for Hyrel but found nothing so far, only DIY syringe extruders with unknown quality.
    Help guys.

I wonder if the heads for Hyrel printer can be used on other printers. Then I could just buy the EMO-25 head from them and another cheaper 3d printer like Solidoodle.

There is a very nice project under development but it's not coming to wide audience prices in the short term.
    I hope they eventually make it, this is the engineer's dream.
    http://www.vadersystems.com/

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    It wouldn't be impossible to run our heads on another printer, but I don't know if it would be worth the effort.