Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMasterJoe View Post
    I might pass that idea on to Collin he might really like that. It's good for sales..
    we might as well make a thread on the forums about it "like hey post 360 deg photos of your MakerFarm Printer"
    and get it pined
    Great ideas! Make it so!

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    We should really leave this thread to sniffle, but Colin is likely at best in a gray area regarding the design files. It has been brought up before that modifications to reprap designs are required to be made available for others to use as they see fit. Marketing the printers as a Prusa variation formalizes the reprap legacy. I don't know the ins and outs of the licensing myself, but here's some text for reference from http://creativecommons.org/tag/reprap in regards to the reprap project - "This means that anyone can copy and improve the project as long as they share alike their modifications, just as one must with GPL’ed free and open source software".
    I think a file sharing thread is in order. Sort of a one stop shop for makerfarm related files.

I like this idea. Of course we could just make a github and then have a pinned post to that github. And make one the forum admins owner of it so that wont be lost if a member decides to disappear

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by sniffle View Post
    i really suck at titles on threads :-P
    Yeah i think this should be another thread but i also dont mind its something to chat about while i wait on ups to deliver my printer parts...
    You could always close this one and start a new one when you start building, using that thread title you've been dreaming of.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    I think a file sharing thread is in order. Sort of a one stop shop for makerfarm related files.
    Before my build, I remember reading how some people put the wood pieces on a scanner to capture them before their printer was assembled. Regarding the sharing thread and git hub type approach, I personally have mixed feelings. Part of me likes the idea, but I don't want to see us do something that makes it easy for an overseas outfit to take the design and run with it. They could anyway, but I'd hate to see us do the groundwork for them.

You could always close this one and start a new one when you start building, using that thread title you've been dreaming of.

Before my build, I remember reading how some people put the wood pieces on a scanner to capture them before their printer was assembled. Regarding the sharing thread and git hub type approach, I personally have mixed feelings. Part of me likes the idea, but I don't want to see us do something that makes it easy for an overseas outfit to take the design and run with it. They could anyway, but I'd hate to see us do the groundwork for them.

Oh i plan on it :-D i'm hoping to take lots of pics as well :-)

the thing is, if the chinese copy the work at least it will be copies of high quality items :-P

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Regarding the sharing thread and git hub type approach, I personally have mixed feelings. Part of me likes the idea, but I don't want to see us do something that makes it easy for an overseas outfit to take the design and run with it. They could anyway, but I'd hate to see us do the groundwork for them.
    I fully agree, I can't see the need creating a library of models for the wood pieces that make up out makerfarm printers if that was being suggested. Unless it sets on fire or something, if one of your parts breaks you still easily put it back together and measure the dimensions to draw up your own model. I'm sure if you're one of Colin's customers and you have an issue he might even send you a cad drawing for a part. Or one of us could easily help you out privately.

What types of files would we share that aren't already captured by thingiverse or github?

i think it's just to get together a compilation of makerfarm specific printer files.

Correct all of the makerfarm files are available but scattered all over the place i have found all the cut files except the i3v12. Being that makerfarm is a Prusa it is and should be open source. .
    i think it's just to get together a compilation of makerfarm specific printer files.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    FWIW, I think people have reported Colin just sending them replacement parts when he was contacted after something was damaged.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by gmay3 View Post
    I'm sure if you're one of Colin's customers and you have an issue he might even send you a cad drawing for a part.
    He will. I cracked the i3v X idler bearing holder (not enough to break it completely), and asked Colin for a .stl of the part. It took a little time, but he did send it to me. I asked him for it because I didn't want to remove it from the printer to measure it and risk really breaking it and not be able to print the replacement. You have to be *really* specific in what you want, and maybe even take a photo of the piece and circle the part needed, so he knows for sure what you want.

I remember reading how some people put the wood pieces on a scanner to capture them before their printer was assembled.
    Hmm, I may do that next time I get really bored.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast