Close

Hybrid View

How is this a printed gun?
    He printed some cover parts, minor to the operation. Metal barrel, metal trigger assembly, metal bolt and firing pin.
    If I print a knob for my car radio can I have a story about how I printed a new Buick?

Crap like this does not deserve publicity.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D OZ View Post
    I agree. Every time I see one of these articles, I roll my eyes. I think we should ban all talk of printed guns on here.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D OZ View Post
    How is this a printed gun?
    He printed some cover parts, minor to the operation. Metal barrel, metal trigger assembly, metal bolt and firing pin.
    If I print a knob for my car radio can I have a story about how I printed a new Buick?

This certainly does deserve publicity. What this person created was a 100% printed firearm.

A firearm as defined by the ATF is simply the lower receiver. This is the only piece that is regulated, serialized, tracked, etc. It is the only part of the gun that makes it a "firearm" legally.

This is a firearm.
    seekins_SP223.jpg

That's it. Nothing else.

The stock, grip, trigger assembly, barrel, etc are all just components that you attach to the firearm to make a complete gun. You can buy them freely.

What he did was show that a cheap 3D printed firearm can be created extremely easily without any FFL or state registration records.
    It has been done before, but usually for higher calibers and only with expensive 3D printers. Since 22LR ammunition is lightweight, this homemade receiver will probably hold up well.
    It is an accomplishment to be sure.