Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Yes Another 3D Printed Gun - Semi-automatic Ruger Charger Pistol

Well, for those of you that despise the news of 3D printed weapons, here is another one for you. A man that goes by the nickname Buck O'Fama has created a video depicting himself firing a gun (semi-automatic Ruger Charger) that he claims was printed using a 3D printer. Not the entire gun was 3D printed, but the illegal-to-obtain part was. The receiver of the gun was 3D printed in 2 parts and then according to O'Fama crazy-glued together. A video and more details of this can be found at http://3dprint.com/8398/3d-printed-gun-semi-automatic/

What do you think? Is this a good or bad thing? What will this do for 3D Printing?

How is this a printed gun?
    He printed some cover parts, minor to the operation. Metal barrel, metal trigger assembly, metal bolt and firing pin.
    If I print a knob for my car radio can I have a story about how I printed a new Buick?

Crap like this does not deserve publicity.

but the illegal-to-obtain part was.
    Illegal? Nothing illegal about making your own gun.

As long as you are making a Title I firearm and it does not enter the stream of commerce, perfectly legal.

The receiver is the firearm. The receiver bears any serial number (not required if you make your own) and is the only regulated part of the weapon (one fills out the 4473 for the receiver).

This is exactly what deserves publicity. "Gun control" is feckless. We can make guns with the click of a mouse at home.

.gov cannot plow the sea. They have lost, and badly too.

Quote Originally Posted by El Tejon View Post

"Gun control" is feckless. We can make guns with the click of a mouse at home.

.gov cannot plow the sea. They have lost, and badly too.
    Feckless? Only in a country where dozens of students killed at school is seen to be an acceptable price to pay for some archaic right to bare arms.
    America, not the only place where mass shootings occur, but the only place where they happen every week. Sad.

Giving publicity to some trumped up story about a guy who has made a part of a gun and focussing on the 3D Printing element helps no-one.

A great technology emerges and what does the US media focus on? Printing Guns, like you need more gun news.
    The Govt has lost? No, I'm afraid it's the American people who have lost.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D OZ View Post
    I agree. Every time I see one of these articles, I roll my eyes. I think we should ban all talk of printed guns on here.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by El Tejon View Post
    Illegal? Nothing illegal about making your own gun.
    Turn off the projector. The USA is not the entirety of the world.

Mass shootings every week?

Feckless? Only in a country where dozens of students killed at school is seen to be an acceptable price to pay for some archaic right to bare arms.
    America, not the only place where mass shootings occur, but the only place where they happen every week. Sad.

Giving publicity to some trumped up story about a guy who has made a part of a gun and focussing on the 3D Printing element helps no-one.

A great technology emerges and what does the US media focus on? Printing Guns, like you need more gun news.
    The Govt has lost? No, I'm afraid it's the American people who have lost.
    Every country has mass killings. We don't have mass shootings every week. The cities in the US with the most deaths are also the same cities with the strictest gun control (Chicago, NY, LA). The worst mass killer at a school in the US used dynamite and his car.

Printed guns can change the debate about these killings toward the real problems and away from a simple mechanical tool.

Deluded

Quote Originally Posted by tspisak View Post
    Every country has mass killings. We don't have mass shootings every week. The cities in the US with the most deaths are also the same cities with the strictest gun control (Chicago, NY, LA). The worst mass killer at a school in the US used dynamite and his car.

Printed guns can change the debate about these killings toward the real problems and away from a simple mechanical tool.

"The worst mass killer at a school in the US used dynamite and his car" ......in 1927 !!! All of the attacks in the last 40 years featured firearms.

Chicago, NY, LA aren't in the Top Ten, only one is in the top twenty per capita.

No other country in the World has a Top Ten list of School Shootings.

USA has 5 of the Worlds Top Ten school killings, no other country is listed more than once and two of them were international terrorist attacks.
    7 of the Top Ten domestic school shootings, and you think more guns and relaxed laws will fix this?

The Real problem? The real problem is you and people like you think you are safer if everybody has the ability to shoot and kill multiple people because the good guys will kill the bad guys. Only happens like that in movies.

Deluded.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tspisak View Post
    The cities in the US with the most deaths are also the same cities with the strictest gun control (Chicago, NY, LA).
    Yes, city-level, or even state-level gun control is totally pointless, as there's no serious borders. A person living in strict-gun-state can simply hop in their car and drive to lax-gun-state to buy whatever and bring it back home, with no one in their home state's government being any the wiser.

To be at all effective, gun control measures need to be done on the federal level.

He printed some cover parts, minor to the operation. Metal barrel, metal trigger assembly, metal bolt and firing pin.
    If I print a knob for my car radio can I have a story about how I printed a new Buick?

This certainly does deserve publicity. What this person created was a 100% printed firearm.

A firearm as defined by the ATF is simply the lower receiver. This is the only piece that is regulated, serialized, tracked, etc. It is the only part of the gun that makes it a "firearm" legally.

This is a firearm.
    seekins_SP223.jpg

That's it. Nothing else.

The stock, grip, trigger assembly, barrel, etc are all just components that you attach to the firearm to make a complete gun. You can buy them freely.

What he did was show that a cheap 3D printed firearm can be created extremely easily without any FFL or state registration records.
    It has been done before, but usually for higher calibers and only with expensive 3D printers. Since 22LR ammunition is lightweight, this homemade receiver will probably hold up well.
    It is an accomplishment to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast