As an end-user, I'd like to see the betas ship - but it'd be even better if the betas were delayed until they're working.

The point of a beta is that the developers think all the major bugs are ironed out (minor ones can be worked around) and they need the beta testers to put lots of work-hours on the printer to find any additional problems. If the developers know that there are major problems with the units that'll limit how much testing the beta testers can do, there is absolutely no point shipping anything.

I don't know what happened with the Makibox beta program (the customers never really heard any feedback from any of the beta testers) but I can tell you the results: the final customers have become beta testers. Lots of issues popping up with production units that really, really should have been found and fixed in the betas. Since production is in full swing, the issues are being fixed on the fly, resulting in many different production Makiboxes. This is clearly not good for anyone. The developers are sending out new parts after the production ones break down in normal usage, and customers are waiting months to get a working printer. I'm seriously considering just putting the Makibox away and waiting for the Peachy, but if I'm going to do that then I want the Peachy to be properly tested before it's shipped!