Close

Hybrid View

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    is there a reason you are stuck on only those 3 printers? there a ton of really great machines out there. to name a couple look at a makergear m2 or a zortrax
    Well, I had narrowed it down to those 3 based on reviews, youtube videos, and popularity (or hype). The Makerbot was a safe purchase for me, since it came with an option for a cheap 3-year Squaretrade warranty (from the reseller I was planning to purchase it from). I also really like the fact that it has guided leveling. It's suppose to be very simple, and I need that because I have a condition with my back where I'm unable to stand for very long (not more than about 5-minutes at a time), so the less tinkering I need to do, the better. I'm a bit hesitant in ordering from overseas for the lack of support / parts availability, but the Ultimaker had great reviews wherever I looked. Everything about it sounds great. The Robo 3D, well, it's not as impressive, but the price is just absurdly nice for its features. If I could get away with spending 1/4 the cost for something with just as good print quality, I'd be good.

Taking a look at some videos of the Zortrax in action, I'm very impressed! I think you just made my life a lot more difficult! lol I went through several Youtube videos, and the prints look fantastic. The build size is adequate, and I can go as low as 25 microns. Though, as I've heard, I know that layer resolution isn't everything. But, it looks like it'll support a large variety of filaments, and that I like! My only concern here is that it's international, and there isn't an auto-leveler.

I'll just have to see if I can get a separate Squaretrade warranty if purchasing internationally if I go with one of these others.

I hate how restricted the Makerbot is... I'm trying to convince myself that it's the way to go because of how large the user base is. Everyone's raving about them, and they're always being praised by reviewers, there has to be a reason for that... but the lack of options with filaments, and the resolution annoy me. It does have some other great features... there's just no examples yet, so I can't judge it too well... for all I know it's going to blow the rest of these printers out of the water with print quality.

I remain stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by atoff View Post
    Well, I had narrowed it down to those 3 based on reviews, youtube videos, and popularity (or hype). The Makerbot was a safe purchase for me, since it came with an option for a cheap 3-year Squaretrade warranty (from the reseller I was planning to purchase it from). I also really like the fact that it has guided leveling. It's suppose to be very simple, and I need that because I have a condition with my back where I'm unable to stand for very long (not more than about 5-minutes at a time), so the less tinkering I need to do, the better. I'm a bit hesitant in ordering from overseas for the lack of support / parts availability, but the Ultimaker had great reviews wherever I looked. Everything about it sounds great. The Robo 3D, well, it's not as impressive, but the price is just absurdly nice for its features. If I could get away with spending 1/4 the cost for something with just as good print quality, I'd be good.

Taking a look at some videos of the Zortrax in action, I'm very impressed! I think you just made my life a lot more difficult! lol I went through several Youtube videos, and the prints look fantastic. The build size is adequate, and I can go as low as 25 microns. Though, as I've heard, I know that layer resolution isn't everything. But, it looks like it'll support a large variety of filaments, and that I like! My only concern here is that it's international, and there isn't an auto-leveler.

I'll just have to see if I can get a separate Squaretrade warranty if purchasing internationally if I go with one of these others.

I hate how restricted the Makerbot is... I'm trying to convince myself that it's the way to go because of how large the user base is. Everyone's raving about them, and they're always being praised by reviewers, there has to be a reason for that... but the lack of options with filaments, and the resolution annoy me. It does have some other great features... there's just no examples yet, so I can't judge it too well... for all I know it's going to blow the rest of these printers out of the water with print quality.

I remain stuck.
    I would still take the Ultimaker realy,
    Its just better, as quality goes i think it will be better aswell,
    It has a heatbed, very silent, great slicer program etc,

You can check this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXnNmwFWXV0
    Also autoleveling isnt a big deal, Once you set it right with manualy you get the same thing.
    Last edited by DrLuigi; 03-03-2014 at 05:08 AM.

Technologist
    The UM does look great, no arguments there... I made a quick comparison chart, just so I can reference it when comparing. These are just the overall specs... now I'm down to these 3.

Also, I did see that video when researching the UM... It's unfortunate he received it with a broken fan, the quality didn't impress me, he should have done a review AFTER fixing the issue.

3DPChoices.jpg
    Last edited by atoff; 03-03-2014 at 04:35 PM.