Close

Hybrid View

I think the question has already been answered, but as a professional in this field I just want to verify that what Wired1 spoke of above is very true.

Once the design is put out there, it should not be patentable (even by the person that designed it!), it is then in the public domain. So, if you want to patent something, do not ever put it out, until you have the paperwork in front of you!

However, patents are set up for corporations. It's true that individuals get patents all the time. However, individuals cannot typically enforce the patent. Patent litigation is EXTREMELY expensive. So, large companies could probably take your idea, after it is in the public domain and find a way to patent it (if they really want to). You, as the original creator, will not be able to afford a lawsuit against that corporation. So, they win.

That's just my 2 cents!

Drew
    Cofounder, CEO
    https://3Dagogo.com

Quote Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
    I think the question has already been answered, but as a professional in this field I just want to verify that what Wired1 spoke of above is very true.

Once the design is put out there, it should not be patentable (even by the person that designed it!), it is then in the public domain. So, if you want to patent something, do not ever put it out, until you have the paperwork in front of you!

However, patents are set up for corporations. It's true that individuals get patents all the time. However, individuals cannot typically enforce the patent. Patent litigation is EXTREMELY expensive. So, large companies could probably take your idea, after it is in the public domain and find a way to patent it (if they really want to). You, as the original creator, will not be able to afford a lawsuit against that corporation. So, they win.
    Very good ponts DTaylor. Even if you get a patent, it would be very difficult to enforce it. I think you have some legal ramifications based on the type of license you provide with the design.