Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    I'm used to looking at the prices between servos and steppers and seeing the servo cost more, but then I'm used to looking at comparable torque, which this doesn't need. And while the pinion and rod are very few parts, they're not parts you would find in a hardware store, and so only cheap if you manage to buy in bulk.

I was a bit surprised at the build area, as I don't think it was mentioned before, and I had never seen the printer with a person for scale before the indiegogo video... This is actually a pretty large box, comically large, in the scene with the little kid lifting the cover. I guess with so much of it being effectively empty space, it's pretty easy to scale up (to a point).

NewMatter Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    I was a bit surprised at the build area, as I don't think it was mentioned before, and I had never seen the printer with a person for scale before the indiegogo video... This is actually a pretty large box, comically large, in the scene with the little kid lifting the cover. I guess with so much of it being effectively empty space, it's pretty easy to scale up (to a point).
    Yeah, maybe we should have found a bigger kid. In absolute terms, though, the printer is not that big - a 15" x 11" footprint. (Only slightly bigger than a Makerbot Mini but with 50% more build area.) That was one of our big decision points: is the increased size worth the cost and simplicity advantage of our moving platform design. We think that for a small printer it is. As you move to a larger build area, though, all sorts of factors change and our moving platform design is less advantageous.