Close

Hybrid View

So elsewhere I was reading about the possible problems with surface tension in the resin and how heating it may be a way to lower the viscosity and hence the surface tension. How about simply adding something simple, like say an aquarium heater to the salt water storage tank? By heating the water you will raise the temp of the resin as well, and have a steady supply of fresh heat entering the system to keep temps stable. The heaters are limited in range, so that overheating should not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbot1 View Post
    So elsewhere I was reading about the possible problems with surface tension in the resin and how heating it may be a way to lower the viscosity and hence the surface tension. How about simply adding something simple, like say an aquarium heater to the salt water storage tank? By heating the water you will raise the temp of the resin as well, and have a steady supply of fresh heat entering the system to keep temps stable. The heaters are limited in range, so that overheating should not be an issue.
    I like the idea (the surface tension issue has been bothering me) but I feel once the water gets from the top tank to the bottom it will have lost most of it's heat.
    Maybe a beer warming matt or even a USB cup warmer?

Quote Originally Posted by jontelling View Post
    I like the idea (the surface tension issue has been bothering me) but I feel once the water gets from the top tank to the bottom it will have lost most of it's heat.
    Maybe a beer warming matt or even a USB cup warmer?

I really don't think there would be much heat loss there. We are using nylon tubing normally, which has a low thermal conductivity and fairly fast flow rates. I do agree that finding a way to heat the build tank would be much better, just looking for the simple, quick and cheap fix here.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbot1 View Post
    I really don't think there would be much heat loss there. We are using nylon tubing normally, which has a low thermal conductivity and fairly fast flow rates. I do agree that finding a way to heat the build tank would be much better, just looking for the simple, quick and cheap fix here.
    True, you should lose too much heat. I'd say those usb heaters are cheap, i think the ones i looked at were £2.50, that has to be cheaper than fish-tank heater.