Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    If your slicer supports multiple profile definitions in a single print, it should be possible. Simplify3D slicer would allow me to specify number of walls, layer thickness, infill percentage for a profile that would print, for example, from the bottom to the underside of the center hole. At that point, I'd define an increased number of walls and/or increased infill for the remaining levels. This would provide for nearly the exact build in the image you have provided.

I found a YouTube video that covers a more elaborate application of this concept. It requires that the model be cut into pieces. The video creator used Fusion 360 but for a simple plane cut, Meshmixer will work well.
    Later in the same video, a different approach is used. It requires a second shape with the new settings be merged with the first.

I attempted to perform the steps in 4.7 Cura on my machine, but the program crashed. With the newer version, many of the features are hidden and in different locations from the video, but with a little experimentation and fewer crashes, you should be able to accomplish your goal.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    If your slicer supports multiple profile definitions in a single print, it should be possible. Simplify3D slicer would allow me to specify number of walls, layer thickness, infill percentage for a profile that would print, for example, from the bottom to the underside of the center hole. At that point, I'd define an increased number of walls and/or increased infill for the remaining levels. This would provide for nearly the exact build in the image you have provided.

I found a YouTube video that covers a more elaborate application of this concept. It requires that the model be cut into pieces. The video creator used Fusion 360 but for a simple plane cut, Meshmixer will work well.
    Later in the same video, a different approach is used. It requires a second shape with the new settings be merged with the first.

I attempted to perform the steps in 4.7 Cura on my machine, but the program crashed. With the newer version, many of the features are hidden and in different locations from the video, but with a little experimentation and fewer crashes, you should be able to accomplish your goal.
    Thanks for the video link. I searched all manner of terms, but not "differnet infills cura". Doh! I'll try this to see how V4.71 copes. As I said, this is all new to me. Cura is what was supplied with the printer. If you recommend different freeware, I'd welcome the suggestion.

Cheers.