Close

Hybrid View

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by CheerCreator View Post
    Hey Geoff, nice stuff. What 3d printer did you use to print this?
    I'm printing mine on the Flashforge and mainly because it never ever crashes on me - ever. It has never stopped mid print.

I have a kossel and an I3, but unless you print from the SD card, I have found that if you use your computer alot when it's printing, the thing actually skips a bit and you can hear the printer actually stop and think... this isnt good.
    I thought it may be a thread issue, but I am running an Octocore CPU, and have only 2 threads assigned to the print - but anything that runs in 64bit mode and uses multiple threads seems to adversely affect the print.

Long story short... If I print on my Flashforge, I know I can happily use my PC to it's fullest while sending a print to the printer and the print will not fail... if I print with the kossel or I3 prusa, it has to be SD card otherwise there is a chance the print will just completely balls up for no reason... this is via both pronterface and repetier host.

People dislike Makerware for many reasons, but there is one thing I do love about it - the background service is very reliable. You can crash your PC to white screen and as long as you don't reset it - the print will keep going. You can close makerware.. and the print will keep going.

You can queue another job with makerware.. .with the print still going (so you can create an auto wipe system to clear the bed and print a second object automatically.. etc..)

While printing from SD is no big deal, nothing beats sending it direct
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I'm printing mine on the Flashforge and mainly because it never ever crashes on me - ever. It has never stopped mid print..

While printing from SD is no big deal, nothing beats sending it direct
    Hmmm thats interesting Geoff. My Davinci is the first printer I've owned, so I have kind of assumed some features were industry standards. After slicing, the file is uploaded to the printer, and off it goes. I can literally unplug the the printer from the USB and it will continue to print. I still have control of the printer through the menu system (pause, cancel). Why do you prefer sending it direct? Isn't that, as you have stated yourself, more error prone?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    Hmmm thats interesting Geoff. My Davinci is the first printer I've owned, so I have kind of assumed some features were industry standards. After slicing, the file is uploaded to the printer, and off it goes. I can literally unplug the the printer from the USB and it will continue to print. I still have control of the printer through the menu system (pause, cancel). Why do you prefer sending it direct? Isn't that, as you have stated yourself, more error prone?
    First, Awesome work Serena!!! that looks very well finished, much better than my first attempt ever went that's for sure! and such a big job, my hats off A bit lost for words really..

@Marm... Pronterface seems to buffer the job to the printer, as it goes.. like replicator G.. whereas from the SD card, it has less opportunity to fail.. I assume from your comment the davinci(being a bit newer than my old flashforge) has a bit more memory and stores the job onboard, much like a common bubbljet or laserprinter converts the print job to PJL, then sends the job and it queues on the device where it's stored locally as it prints...

No my old FF is a bit archaic for that.. but as I said, with makerware and its background service, my old flashy has never really skipped a beat, I gotta say I have made many times over what it cost me to buy.. like, we're up to about 8x my money back, so really I can't complain at all, it's been an awesome machine.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com