Close

Hybrid View

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Don't worry about exact. Just get 6x9 size at Mcmaster. 3/16" thick. That is 228 x 152.
    That sounds good. Is the 6x9" size slightly too large or slightly too small for the build plate? And how do you account for this? Just use clips that can adjust for the size difference? Also, why 3/16"? Is that supposed to be a compromise between 1/8" and 1/4"? Now I have to ask Kludge or someone else to make a custom 3/8" Z-axis spacer. I only have 1/8" and 1/4" size.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    It's so close it isn't to be worried about. Yes 3/16" is a nice compromise between 1/4 and 1/8. 1/4 is good but is overkill. I feel 1/8 is a little weak once you start wrestling with a stuck print. Glass is glass, it will break if stressed too much.

You should be able to use a 1/4" spacer for 3/16". Just unscrew the levelers a little more.

My platform kit comes with spacer for glass and no glass.

Quote Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
    That sounds good. Is the 6x9" size slightly too large or slightly too small for the build plate? And how do you account for this? Just use clips that can adjust for the size difference? Also, why 3/16"? Is that supposed to be a compromise between 1/8" and 1/4"? Now I have to ask Kludge or someone else to make a custom 3/8" Z-axis spacer. I only have 1/8" and 1/4" size.

Technician
    Thanks for your help. Can you give more details about your platform kit? I know you mentioned in PM to look at the past posts and I did. All I could find is satisfied customers saying they liked it. Good tip about using 1/4" for 3/16" making sure I loosen the screws extra.

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    It's so close it isn't to be worried about. Yes 3/16" is a nice compromise between 1/4 and 1/8. 1/4 is good but is overkill. I feel 1/8 is a little weak once you start wrestling with a stuck print. Glass is glass, it will break if stressed too much.

You should be able to use a 1/4" spacer for 3/16". Just unscrew the levelers a little more.

My platform kit comes with spacer for glass and no glass.

Quote Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
    I use 1/8" borosilicate glass. The 1/8" in my opinion is better because it reaches temp faster. With a glass plate, you want to use the preheat function as much as possible and then check your bed temps with an infrared thermometer as the reported temp will be for the aluminum bed's temperature reading and won't accurately reflect what the surface of the plate is. I printed off a spacer that is 1/8" but slightly larger, it doesn't matter too much as you can adjust your bed height, just make sure is isn't smaller before you adjust or you will crash your print head into it. My spacer located on one of the screw tops behind the z-axis threaded rod.