Close

Hybrid View

Senior Engineer
    Well unfortunately there are no standard tables of limits and fits for polymers so it is still a suck it and see pastime. I suspect it will always be that way generally because of the millions of different plastics with subtle, unknown changes in the chemical make up that affect shrinkage and other properties.

Depending on your slicer a hole will be one extruded thickness small and whatever the plastic it will have a known average shrinkage rate, after that it really is suck it and see. If you are using ABS then Acetone will allow the holes to fill after it has been assembled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Well unfortunately there are no standard tables of limits and fits for polymers so it is still a suck it and see pastime. I suspect it will always be that way generally because of the millions of different plastics with subtle, unknown changes in the chemical make up that affect shrinkage and other properties.

Depending on your slicer a hole will be one extruded thickness small and whatever the plastic it will have a known average shrinkage rate, after that it really is suck it and see. If you are using ABS then Acetone will allow the holes to fill after it has been assembled.
    I understand the limits of various plastics, and I'm not looking for a "default value", I already know that I need about 0.3mm of clearance to get PLA printed by my printer to assemble. My question is how I might adjust the files to achieve that 0.3mm of clearance on both an inner and an outer dimension, when in this case the inner dimension needs expanding 0.3mm and the outer dimension needs shrinking 0.3mm.