Close

Hybrid View

Thingiverse's business model is a really good one IMHO. It allows MakerBot to get plenty of free advertising, while keeping designs open source. So much good comes out of open source design files. I love looking at all the remixes. I've seen so many cool designs evolve to become even cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by RimReaping View Post
    Thingiverse's business model is a really good one IMHO. It allows MakerBot to get plenty of free advertising, while keeping designs open source. So much good comes out of open source design files. I love looking at all the remixes. I've seen so many cool designs evolve to become even cooler.
    Besides everything you said... Having lots and lots of gadgets that can be found and printed increases the end user demand for 3D-Printers, which obviously MakerBot profits from.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Besides everything you said... Having lots and lots of gadgets that can be found and printed increases the end user demand for 3D-Printers, which obviously MakerBot profits from.
    This is an extremely important point. There are relatively few people with the skillset needed to create designs. Having a platform that encourages sharing designs means we can get people involved in 3D printing without needing to build that skillset.