Close

Hybrid View

Student
    Binding of the Delrin wheels reminded me, that in my 10" kit the wheels washers and bearings came preassembled but I found the washers were too thin to allow any tightening without binding of the wheels. The seperate 5mm washers that came in the kit were about .2mm thicker, so I ended up swapping all the washers to make things work. When I talked to Colin about the problem with the washers it was like he didn't understand, and said I was tightening too much. If the bolt and nut can still spin with the fingers in the wood frame I wasn't tightening enough in my book.

Technologist
    Thx Hankus...

Yah..., the binding I first experienced was with the idlers..., but after I wrote my earlier post, the last two delrin wheels to go on my y-bed also had binding issues. It was as you say..., you couldn't tighten them AT ALL to keep the assembly from rattling around w/o creating at least some binding.

I held off trying to dis-assemble the delrin wheels..., so I take it the bearings can be removed w/o damaging the wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Hankus View Post
    Binding of the Delrin wheels reminded me, that in my 10" kit the wheels washers and bearings came preassembled but I found the washers were too thin to allow any tightening without binding of the wheels. The seperate 5mm washers that came in the kit were about .2mm thicker, so I ended up swapping all the washers to make things work. When I talked to Colin about the problem with the washers it was like he didn't understand, and said I was tightening too much. If the bolt and nut can still spin with the fingers in the wood frame I wasn't tightening enough in my book.

I held off trying to dis-assemble the delrin wheels..., so I take it the bearings can be removed w/o damaging the wheels?

No problem with removing and replacing the bearings.

Technologist

It's the week END d---it!

Cool. Then the problem wheels are on my list of things to come back to. Thx.

So far things are assembled up to but not including the end-stops. Oh..., I did go ahead and bolt on the power supply and added some nylon spacers between the frame and supply, hopefully to give cooling a bit more of an edge. Also added washers to all the motor mount screws.

Most things went together requiring little or no adjustment afterwards (OK..., ignoring the wheels), and things seem "sound" enough for initial testing without immediately revisiting them.

I've decided that the build is going to move to my sorta working workshop. There, I'll have easy 360deg access to the machine w/o moving stuff around. Optimal wiring routing seems like it's gonna require a bit of creativity and stress-free access to everything will help.

Not sure if I'll be able to make any more progress this weekend, but early in the week things will proceed, including acquisition of the glass.

Also am faced with one of those trivial decisions I'm kinda bad at: which power switch to purchase/use. I'm almost tempted to make a Frankenstein-style scissor switch and bolt it on the side. OK..., just kidding. I think. Yes! OK! I'm kidding.

Have a great weekend!