Close

Hybrid View

I picked up Simplify3D for my powerspec, but I can't seem to get it to work properly. The prints come out 10x better with ReplicatorG, and I'm not sure why. I've tried using the guides and changing the settings, but I just can't seem to find a satisfactory setting in S3D. I really kind of wish I hadn't spent the $140 on it. I was thinking the custom supports feature would be great, but I find myself not using it, because it doesn't print the supports exactly as pictured. I haven't tried makerware yet - does it work well with the powerspec printers?

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by catalyst View Post
    I picked up Simplify3D for my powerspec, but I can't seem to get it to work properly. The prints come out 10x better with ReplicatorG, and I'm not sure why. I've tried using the guides and changing the settings, but I just can't seem to find a satisfactory setting in S3D. I really kind of wish I hadn't spent the $140 on it. I was thinking the custom supports feature would be great, but I find myself not using it, because it doesn't print the supports exactly as pictured. I haven't tried makerware yet - does it work well with the powerspec printers?
    Post some pics. Know that the filament density is opposite from repg. The supports don't print in the grid shown, that is just where a support is going to be built. The "Prepare to Print" preview will show the exact support that will be printed.

Student
    Add Joinc on Thingiverse
    Hi All,

I use an Ultimaker 2 at work along with a very high end Stratasys. I purchased a PowerSpec Pro for home after reading this post (and others). I did get the great $799 sale price at Microcenter. The machine gave me much troubles with PLA, which in the end was due mostly to the lack of cooling fan, once I started printing ABS I fell in love with this machine. I upgraded the fan using http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:537918 this one fit best with the PowerSpec Pro trapezoid shaped x-slide. This is the only way to print PLA and it works awesome with ABS too.

I had been using Cura for artistic models and slic3r for mechanical parts, but after reading this article http://www.3duniverse.org/2014/01/05.../#comment-6403 and updating the g-code posts I find that slic3r gives very good quality prints. This is due to slic3r allowing me to set extrusion width as a percent of layer thickness. Setting some values to 100% or less forces the extruder to extrude smaller widths than the 0.4mm nozzle which leads to smooth surfaces.

Regards,

Attached Images Attached Images