Quote Originally Posted by DanSilov View Post
Looks like the wrong link, or I don't understand how that thing is used with motors

How is that extruder really different from Greg's? Except for the belt general construction looks very close, motor is stinductanceed directly to plastic. I have a great heat problem with extruder, it melted original small gear that came with the kit, and now it melted mount I printed with PLA. I gets so hot I can't really touch it, and it's set to 0.37v.
Sorry. The link was missing a character. I fixed it.

You can, of course, use any extruder you like. The heat problem you're experiencing is because of the motor that Colin chose and the current he recommends. You can turn down the current or use a fan to avoid the heat, but that won't solve the inductance problem, so your retract speed will still be limited. Replacing the motor will fix both.

If you choose to replace the motor, you may wish to buy a NEMA 14 instead and try the Itty Bitty Belted Extruder. It has a number of features I like, but not everyone may agree. It's about half the weight of the one that comes with the kit because of the smaller motor. This reduces the torque needed to move the X axis and may help with skipping or allow higher speeds. The belt drive doesn't make clicking noises and has no backlash. It does require more vitamins, though, so that's something to consider.

The motor being mounted directly to the plastic isn't a problem if it doesn't get hot. The NEMA 14 motor (and current setting) I list with the extruder reaches about 45C when printing, which doesn't threaten the ABS.