Close

Threaded View

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    If you don't like the lines, use thinner layers.
    It's not that *I* don't like the lines, I mean I don't think anyone and not just me would be willing to buy an iphone case, a figure, etc. with even their design of choice because it will look so unfinished. And finishing methods I'm familiar with, sanding and acetone vapor from what I've seen won't improve it much (look like any other phone case or figure made with professional tools), not to mention I don't think sanding will work for rubbery filaments used more for things like phone cases.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMTechRob View Post
    Its best to start with making something better that you are interested in. Do you have any hobbies? I enjoy Radio Control cars, and will be making alot of things for sale that don't need to be shiny and perfect, but are needed to make things better.
    Thanks for your reply, but I think your example is similar toAMID's example, to which I replied that pretty sure some people won't mind the imperfections on the surface of these stuff, even more if they can't find a not 3d printed version, but there isn't really a demand for these kind of stuff where I'm from. I might be lucky to sell 2-3 of these in a year, but that won't be close to covering the cost of my 3d printer or the filament.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfilemarket.com View Post
    Hi, the way to go with 3dprinting is with digital downloads. I set up the 3dfilemarket.com after cubify took down their open marketplace as I had over 80 designs on cubify that had a few hundred paid downloads. When they closed their marketplace I had no where to host my designs so I decided to set up my own website and people are downloading. Check out the accessories section of the site and you will see some nice iphone cases with excellent finishes if printed on a good printer. I have a solidoodle 2 printer and with a heated metal print bed with kapton tape. This gives an amazing surface finish.......
    Hi there 3dfilemarket.com. I'm not sure I understand. You mean I can sell 3d models on the internet instead of printing them and selling physical versions, but then isn't the person buying it going to print with the same imperfections because he's using a similar FFF printer? So why will he buy 3d models of such things whose point is to look pretty (phone case, figure, etc) if they won't look good when printed with their 3d printers?

Quote Originally Posted by barto View Post
    you might be able to offer your 3D printer as a service to print others designs. theres a few places locally that have makerbots where you could get your files printed but if i owned one, i would offer it as a service too to help pay for the printer.
    This might just work actually. But there are people who offer such service with a more precise CNC machines already. And won't the customers be dissatisfied from the quality of the model? I think that should really matter for designers.
    And again this is a problem because from what I've heard from the CNC guys from my town, the demand for such a thing is really low.
    But thank you for the idea. I'll keep it in mind, though I don't think it's enough "guarantee" for me to spend my savings on a 3d printer.
    Last edited by cipher0; 03-25-2014 at 01:26 PM.