Close

Hybrid View

Engineer-in-Training
    I just did a quick search on HIPS and the thing that is most interesting to me is that is 20% lighter than PLA, that would be a huge advantage for a plane, in the case of the Nomad it would automatically reduce the weight by 80 grams, from 650 to 570. So I'm going to give it a try to use it in final prints, I still prefer PLA for the development, it prints so easy without a heatbead (no time wasted in cooling down after print) and with no fumes.

Technologist American 3D Printing's Avatar
    Add American 3D Printing on Facebook Add American 3D Printing on Google+ Add American 3D Printing on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I just did a quick search on HIPS and the thing that is most interesting to me is that is 20% lighter than PLA, that would be a huge advantage for a plane, in the case of the Nomad it would automatically reduce the weight by 80 grams, from 650 to 570. So I'm going to give it a try to use it in final prints, I still prefer PLA for the development, it prints so easy without a heatbead (no time wasted in cooling down after print) and with no fumes.
    When we first got our HIPS we were told to heat the bed to 50°C. Subsequently we discovered that it doesn't need heat at all. If you're using a glass bed spreading some ABS juice around will help it stick a little better.