Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakyan View Post
    Again, I already mentioned the bending, and that the rails can be fully supported which prevents that. My point was just that there are plenty of printers that get good results with rods. You can't say "we all upgrade to linear rails", we don't all do that because cost is a concern, and there are a lot of other ways to get rid of z wobble. Plus, the OP is building a delta with belts so the the z wobble you get from a bent screw is irrelevant.@reefsiderAs for crunchy bearings, it wont influence your print unless it takes you a cheater bar to turn the bearing. Cleaning and re-oiling the bearings will make them run a bit smoother if really bothers you, but your printer wont care. If you're worried about belt stretch you should go for steel core belts not name brand aramid or glass fibre ones. In that case even the cheapest Chinese belt that might skimp on the reinforcement will do fine. For such a big delta with long belts steel core might be well worth considering, just make sure you pick the right pulleys and idlers so you don't end up with broken reinforcement in a few weeks.
    Drag on the drive belt will most certainly impact print quality buddy. And crunchy bearings are not steady drag. They roll free then get tight then roll free then get tight and you will most definitely see that in your print. And with that I am gonna tap out of this. The OP seems to have a good working knowledge and I think he will do just fine on his build. I just hope he shares a whole mess of pictures of the build with us along the way. I for one would love to see a home made large format delta. Godspeed OP. Don't let us down with the build thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    Drag on the drive belt will most certainly impact print quality buddy. And crunchy bearings are not steady drag. They roll free then get tight then roll free then get tight and you will most definitely see that in your print. And with that I am gonna tap out of this. The OP seems to have a good working knowledge and I think he will do just fine on his build. I just hope he shares a whole mess of pictures of the build with us along the way. I for one would love to see a home made large format delta. Godspeed OP. Don't let us down with the build thread.
    Thanks very much for the input and encouragement! I think it will be a pretty cool looking printer that will be really sturdy when I'm done with it. I will keep the post updated with pictures as I go. It may take me a while to do things as its a side project but it will get done eventually.

I plan to take the parts to the machinist in the next week or two to have the parts squared and cut to the same length. I'll take pics and then start the build. I just got the rim and will cut that in half tomorrow so i can model it in fusion and get on the assembly file and start some simulations.

Cheers!!

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefsider416 View Post
    It may take me a while to do things as its a side project but it will get done eventually.
    No rush, I just want to see something impressive in the end.