Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bodnar View Post
    You may want to remove the nozzle (careful! You need to hold the heater still with one wrench as you remove the nozzle or you can twist the temperature sensor wires & break them!) - I had some plastic restricting the small plastic tube that runs through the extruder. Once I cleaned that it prints well with PLA.

dave
    I thought I read somewhere you should remove the nozzle when it's heated up to temperature. Is this true? Or can I talk it off cold?
    And how do I clean the nozzle? With ABS I just let it soak in acetone over night, but now this is PLA, and I'm not sure what has the same effect.
    Thanks again for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by Petmagnet13 View Post
    I thought I read somewhere you should remove the nozzle when it's heated up to temperature. Is this true? Or can I talk it off cold?
    And how do I clean the nozzle? With ABS I just let it soak in acetone over night, but now this is PLA, and I'm not sure what has the same effect.
    Thanks again for all your help
    I believe that I removed mine cold - I cleaned the nozzle by soaking it in acetone then using a fine wire to clean the small hole in the tip.
    dave

Student
    I cleared stuck nozzles by removing them cold (being careful to hold the heater steady) and used on of those very fine (.5 mm?) drill bits someone sells to push the offending plastic back into the nozzle. To do this, I needed to use my dissecting microscope (a magnifying glass held in a frame might work too). As a bonus, it's a good excuse to buy one if you don't already have one.

It was easy to clear the nozzles this way, but there's still stuff sticking to the outside. It looks messy but doesn't seem to hurt anything.
    Last edited by andy_milman; 12-30-2015 at 06:13 PM. Reason: make clearer