Close

Thread: 3D Ressources

Hybrid View

You will soon find a couple hard truths about all these libraries : not all the designs you find on the net were made to be 3D printed.
    2 reasons :
    - you don't need a model to be manifold for it to be aesthetically pleasing. Therefore many models intended for animations / games / ... are not. And therefore it makes them nigh on useless for 3Dprinting.
    - a manifold model is not necessarily easily printable either. Designing for manufacture is a mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    You will soon find a couple hard truths about all these libraries : not all the designs you find on the net were made to be 3D printed.
    2 reasons :
    - you don't need a model to be manifold for it to be aesthetically pleasing. Therefore many models intended for animations / games / ... are not. And therefore it makes them nigh on useless for 3Dprinting.
    - a manifold model is not necessarily easily printable either. Designing for manufacture is a mindset.
    Hi LamdaFF,
    yes you are right, designing for manufacture is a mindset. I'm aware that most libraries are for animations, that's why I'm still looking for a
    place where I get some high quality, printable base geometries to use it as a source for my designs.