Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    right this is where it gets complicated :-)
    There are possibly hundreds of types and formulations of 'nylon'.

I have found 2 that work reasonably well in an unenclosed printer.
    MyMat nylon from spain and taulman 645 https://taulman3d.com/645-features.html
    http://www.mymatsolutions.com/

Every other nylon I have tried has been an abject failure.
    Hell every other taulman filament I've tried has been impossible to use outside a heated enclosure.
    But nylon 645, is pretty good.

So while the heated enclosure would help - it's not strictly necessary with the right material.
    And yes, the hairdryer and enclosure should work quite well.
    Throw in a thermostatically controlled switch for the dryer and you've got a temperature controlled build volume :-)

Obviously everything else inside the volume is getting heated, so that can throw up issues if you have it too hot - so personally I'd always go the thermostat route.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    right this is where it gets complicated :-)And yes, the hairdryer and enclosure should work quite well. Throw in a thermostatically controlled switch for the dryer and you've got a temperature controlled build volume :-)
    I heat my enclosure just like this, and I and attest it works great... just make sure the hair dryer is not pointing at the build area.

I also agree that you should look for a printer with a direct drive extruder: better precision and can print flexible materials (nylon is semi-flexible).Also look for a printer with an all-metal hotend, so you can print over 240C without problems.