Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Koisn View Post
    The worst the above problems could do would be delaying the production/delivery of the printer, but at least we know it's probably not a scam.
    I never accused it of being a scam. But the problems are a pretty good indicator that the team is in over their heads, and that can lead to a steady march to completely innocent long-term failure even with the best of intentions at heart. But good intentions you don't get your money back after a bankruptcy any more than bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    I never accused it of being a scam. But the problems are a pretty good indicator that the team is in over their heads, and that can lead to a steady march to completely innocent long-term failure even with the best of intentions at heart. But good intentions you don't get your money back after a bankruptcy any more than bad ones.
    It simply boggles my mind that they managed to raise nearly $250k with a 41 second video of someone saying "you need a big printer"?! I sorta guess that's the description of "oversold". Some more specs have come to light -

1] MASSIVE 76 oz/in stepper motors - they are evidently better know as "NEMAS".
    2] Flexible compressible reusable aluminum couplers to support your threaded rods.
    3] RepRapDiscount Hexagon hotend in the latest video.
    4] Acrylic print surface. 80c Tg - keep your hotend far away.
    5] Cantilevered Y supported by Z.
    6] Marlin on RAMPS with a gLCD
    7] 8825's running in 1/32 mode

Acrylic print surface is is pretty much a joke, and trying to run 1/32 on an AVR is deadly - combine it with gLCD and I'm not sure you'll get 40mm/s out of it without stuttering.

The math works out until you get to the v-slot and the labor to assemble it - forget the employees, injection molding, and building leases. I also wonder what logic they are using to design the plastic pieces - they don't appear to be optimized for IM?

I'm in for the moment - the bits cover the costs - but getting nothing when they spend it all on molds is a very likely outcome, so not sure I'll stay in for more than grins.
    Last edited by SystemsGuy; 07-23-2014 at 06:11 PM.