Close

Hybrid View

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    Quote Originally Posted by harpo99999 View Post
    should be able to get below 0.001mm without too much difficulty
    You're right to a point but as you try to get smaller and smaller Z-steps you'll run into issues with the meniscus. There were some ideas around raising and lowering the level (like up 3 drips, down 2 drips) before the laser does its thing but I don't think this is a stock feature of the peachy.

In fact, I'd be interested to know if any special printing methods were used for that rook. Maybe Rylan will tell us...

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Chayat View Post
    You're right to a point but as you try to get smaller and smaller Z-steps you'll run into issues with the meniscus. There were some ideas around raising and lowering the level (like up 3 drips, down 2 drips) before the laser does its thing but I don't think this is a stock feature of the peachy.

In fact, I'd be interested to know if any special printing methods were used for that rook. Maybe Rylan will tell us...
    Right so when we talk about getting 1000 drips per mm and how that gets us a "resolution" of .001 mm
    thats probably a miss use or at least an over simplification of the word resolution, there are all kinds of sources of noise in the system
    that push and pull the one thousand layers you just did up and down side to side etc.... at the end of the day we print with 100 layers per mm because that's
    about where it gets tricky to measure any improvements from doing even more layers.

The rook was done with the standard setup no hacks or mods or anything to the printer, it was printed in a 2 litre pop bottle with the top cut off.
    We did tilt the stl 15 degrees in the slicer to give overhangs more layers and added a small base or raft which we cut off before filming.
    The print had 8000 layers probably 1000 of which were in the base that we cut off. Theres not really much more I can say about it... we were just as impressed
    and shocked when we saw it for the first time too.