Close

Hybrid View

Student
    I have the CTC clone of the FF Creator. Anyone know why the hotend is wrapped in kapton tape? The thermocouple is attached via screw, so the only thing I can imagine is that it's to reduce the heat loss?

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jgurley View Post
    I have the CTC clone of the FF Creator. Anyone know why the hotend is wrapped in kapton tape? The thermocouple is attached via screw, so the only thing I can imagine is that it's to reduce the heat loss?

Like another has mentioned it is to insulate the heating block so heat doesn't radiate up as much and overheat the cooling bar. Heat rises so it isn't as much for keeping the heat off the printed material as it is the cooling bar.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Like another has mentioned it is to insulate the heating block so heat doesn't radiate up as much and overheat the cooling bar. Heat rises so it isn't as much for keeping the heat off the printed material as it is the cooling bar.
    The tape and insulation do not really stop the heat going upwards over much, it is to stop radiation from heating the print and the aluminium bar. Radiation is omnidirectional.