Close

Hybrid View

Technician
    Thanks for the reply Alibert. I appreciate the clear explanation. Learn something new everyday! Anyways you were right that the PSU was over-stressed. Well its actually an ATX PSU that can push 49 amps supposedly but I think my issue was that I did not have enough 12v and ground wires going from the PSU to the 5 amp rail on the RAMPS board. I thought 2 20AWG wires per 12v and ground would be enough, but I guess it wasn't. I'm using 4 20AWG wires now and am having no issues. Thank You for working through this with me! Quick question - what does the 11 amp rail power. Just the heat bed? If I am using a relay then can I expect that there will never be the whole 11 amps drawn from that rail? Thanks again!

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by pjfossee View Post
    ... what does the 11 amp rail power. Just the heat bed? If I am using a relay then can I expect that there will never be the whole 11 amps drawn from that rail?
    On RAMPS, the 11-amp input *only* sources power for whatever is connected to the D8 output, which is usually the heat bed. If you're using a heat bed relay, D8 would only need to supply a small amount of current to energize the relay. #20 wires would be more than fine for that, as would just adding short jumpers from the 11-amp input to the 5-amp input.