Close

Hybrid View

As a heads-up, Toshiba has released a W-04 version of these cards that has a few new scripting features (mostly useless for most printers, but could be useful if you're running MachineKit, LinuxCNC, OctoPrint, etc. with one of these in it for some reason, or if you've got the resources on your board to run a modified firmware that can leverage them), more resources for the microcontroller (and some flexibility in how they're used), and improved WiFi connectivity. The throughput is 2.9x higher on the WiFi side (again, not a huge issue for most use cases with 3D printing) and the connection itself is stronger and more resilient. They're also designed to leverage UHS-I Class 3 and the SDXC standard (both pretty much completely useless for 3D printers).

Some folks who've had issues with these cards may have been too far from their AP, but the new design should increase the range a little bit when inside a metal box (they say camera body, we say 3D printer, both are a potential issue). The new WiFi engine is specifically designed for better performance in noisy environments, which 3D printers themselves are, as are areas with medium to high population density these days (I can see dozens of networks from some rooms of my house, which is the problem they were solving for).

I'll have one on Friday and expect to have it configured and running by the weekend, if all goes well.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by supertaz View Post
    As a heads-up, Toshiba has released a W-04 version of these cards that has a few new scripting features...
    I'll have one on Friday and expect to have it configured and running by the weekend, if all goes well.
    Thanks for the update. Good luck!

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by supertaz View Post
    As a heads-up, Toshiba has released a W-04 version of these cards that has a few new scripting features...
    I need to get an aircard for a Folger Tech FT5 printer that I've just acquired. Were you successful at getting the version 4 AirCard working with your 3D printer? By the way, my V3 card does work with both the QiDi Tech 1 and the FT5.