Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    Just realized I never came back with an update. I eventually got the bed shimmed to within .06mm of flat and it's good enough if I split the difference on the Z height.

After talking with a mechanical engineer at work, it seems that this is typical. Flat glass really isn't very rigid. It tends to take a bow, usually across the diagonal. Once it takes this bow, it becomes very rigid and stable, but it's very tricky to keep it entirely flat.
    This is almost certainly why borosilicate glass is preferred for the application. I'd be curious to hear from someone who has used it.

Quote Originally Posted by dacb View Post
    This is almost certainly why borosilicate glass is preferred for the application. I'd be curious to hear from someone who has used it.
    You're hearing from one now.

This is what I'm using:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...mtid=824&kw=lg

I have a high-power silicone bed heater, and I was exploding ordinary window glass. It turns out I was going a little too hot (140C) due to a thermistor configuration problem, but the heater was getting there so fast that the glass couldn't take the thermal stress and it was shattering. The borosilicate glass takes it just fine. I have since fixed my thermistor issue, but I still use the borosilicate glass.

Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    You're hearing from one now.

This is what I'm using:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...mtid=824&kw=lg

I have a high-power silicone bed heater, and I was exploding ordinary window glass. It turns out I was going a little too hot (140C) due to a thermistor configuration problem, but the heater was getting there so fast that the glass couldn't take the thermal stress and it was shattering. The borosilicate glass takes it just fine. I have since fixed my thermistor issue, but I still use the borosilicate glass.

Terrific information. So even with the borosilicate you see deformation of the glass plane? Interesting.