Quote Originally Posted by cheapo View Post
Have you started this yet? It's interesting as rigidity is mostly missing from ally framed printers.
(though I just received an Ender5 to mess about with)
But it seems to me that once you've welded your framework, you may have to machine any mounting positions for the rails etc, otherwise they won't be square to the bed or each other.
I'm a CNC mill setter/operator.
I havent got round to it yet due to work and other commitments but my idea was to fabricate and weld the 4 sides separately. Then once it was all completely welded mill them flat and the mating surfaces for each side square and the bolt them together either threaded or nuts whatever works.

Then once all 4 sides where bolted together make an aluminium carriage frame for the extruder to run on trying to keep it as light weight as possible without losing ridgitidy. Maybe even cnc mill a honeycomb pattern into a solid aluminium bar?!

The options are endless and I think the rigidity would allow faster printing to a certain level without inducing vibrations to the print. I would expect the print quality to be far superior to any budget made frame?