Close

Hybrid View

Senior Engineer
    Measure the resistance with a meter if you are unsure, it could be anything. They are very inaccurate usually because they are cheap, the thermistors and the measuring hardware / software. Most people just live with it and compensate as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Most people just live with it and compensate as you do.
    Yes, but that is a very big 'compensation'. I could believe being off 5 degrees F at 100 F. But 110 to get to 80 seems wrong.

Adam, I believe that 100 K ohm number is at room temperature. You should be able to unplug the wires from the controller board and measure what it says. But the thing is, those parts are so cheap, you may as well order a few off of eBay so you can be certain you know the correct thermistor number to use.

I've broken off the leads on my thermistors on occasions. What I started doing was just ordering a few different ones off of eBay (and then clearly marking what Type # they are and put them away until I need them.) At least in my experience, it really doesn't matter for the stuff I do what type of thermistor I have in either the nozzle or the bed. I just adjust the Configuration.h file to be correct and I can use my printer again.

The one exception is I just broke the thermistor wires on my FolgerTech i3-2020 printer. The hole in the nozzle was bigger than any of the thermistors I had sitting around. I ended up wedging a little piece of stranded wire into the hole to force it to be in good contact with the nozzle. I probably should go order the right thermistor, but that seems to be working just fine.