Close

Hybrid View

Technician
    quick question re the accuracy of the measuring, is it able to repeatedly measure to the 0.001mm level or is it a LOT coarser than this?as with the drop meathod it is possible depending upon the container dimensions to get near to the 0.00001mm resolution

Quote Originally Posted by harpo99999 View Post
    quick question re the accuracy of the measuring, is it able to repeatedly measure to the 0.001mm level or is it a LOT coarser than this?as with the drop meathod it is possible depending upon the container dimensions to get near to the 0.00001mm resolution
    No, it is much coarser than that IIRC, which is why I mentioned using it as a way to maintain a continuous active calibration (And possibly use it for initial calibration too). It may not be able to measure 0.0001m, but it can average out that 50.000 drips is still 10cm (for instance)...
    Standard laser would be more accurate (up to 1mm approx, IIRC), but there are 2 issues with that: 1) possible unintended resin hardening (if there is a UV component) and 2) the resin may be too translucent for it to reflect reliably.
    And of course, the more precise the measurement instrument, the more expensive it is...

I don't have all the answers, obviously, or I'd have made the printer myself!
    Just trying to think how we could improve reliability without breaking the bank!
    (As a matter of fact I have plenty questions myself, and will start asking once I have read through the topic lists, so I know what has or has not been answered yet)

Hmmm... Interesting read I found when I started googling: http://www.olympus-ims.com/en/applic...ckness-gaging/
    Last edited by CescoAiel; 03-14-2016 at 05:52 AM.