Close

Hybrid View

Some Prusa i3 use a laser cut, wood frame and others use a metal frame. For a host of reasons, I feel the metal frame is worth the extra cost. I have built several Prusa i3 and they print very well and gave a generous build area. Last month I built a Kosell Delta printer " just because" and it was a fun, fast build and prints nice, but not as good as the Prusa. My son send I presently have six printers in our printer farm, half are built from scratch and half are production machines, so we have some that cost around $500.00 to over $4,000.00. Done with a single extruder and some with multiple extruders. Each gas advantages and drawbacks.

if you are still thinking of building a Prusa, visit our website and check out our BOM and our build instructions. We have had dozens of our kits built and none have taken more than a weekend.

Www.botbuilder.net

Last edited by JohnA136; 06-17-2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added url

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA136 View Post
    Some Prusa i3 use a laser cut, wood frame and others use a metal frame. For a host of reasons, I feel the metal frame is worth the extra cost. I have built several Prusa i3 and they print very well and gave a generous build area. Last month I built a Kosell Delta printer " just because" and it was a fun, fast build and prints nice, but not as good as the Prusa. My son send I presently have six printers in our printer farm, half are built from scratch and half are production machines, so we have some that cost around $500.00 to over $4,000.00. Done with a single extruder and some with multiple extruders. Each gas advantages and drawbacks.

if you are still thinking of building a Prusa, visit our website and check out our BOM and our build instructions. We have had dozens of our kits built and none have taken more than a weekend.

Www.botbuilder.net

Checked out some of the pictures you have on there. Those are some seriously nice prints!! Could you maybe clear up what the Prusa I3 is... Is it a design of frame or is the electronics or is it the software or maybe the size? Aside from that I was wondering if you had a good thread or video that would maybe help explain the mechanics behind the printer. Maybe that way I'll have a better understanding of what each mechanical part does. Hopefully I will be able to ask better questions such as "should I get this x or this x?"

Go to Yahoo's main page and search for 'Prusa I3' After it gives a list of links, don't click on those... Go to the far left column and down just a few links will be 'Images'. Click on that. Do this same thing for 'Prusa I2' You will see the differences. You will also see the similarities. All of the plastic parts in both designs are open source and printed by the printer.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Go to Yahoo's main page and search for 'Prusa I3' After it gives a list of links, don't click on those... Go to the far left column and down just a few links will be 'Images'. Click on that. Do this same thing for 'Prusa I2' You will see the differences. You will also see the similarities. All of the plastic parts in both designs are open source and printed by the printer.
    I do see that, I like that you can upgrade the printer by printing newer parts.

Sorry, I missed this question. Yes, it is the frame design mainly. Joe Prusa designed and supplies the metal frames we use for our kits. The rigidity and simplicity of the frames is what gives us our easy build and print quality. Sometimes the wooden frames have some flex and give that affects print quality.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA136 View Post
    Sorry, I missed this question. Yes, it is the frame design mainly. Joe Prusa designed and supplies the metal frames we use for our kits. The rigidity and simplicity of the frames is what gives us our easy build and print quality. Sometimes the wooden frames have some flex and give that affects print quality.

Well I'm confused, so what makes one printer better than another? I want good print quality, and I want it to last... not always fixing. Also something that won't make me yank my hair out, but I don't want to spend a ton of money as it's more or less something to teach me about 3D design and replication. But If I have a cool idea I want to amaze myself and it to look as close as I can get it to as the design I had come up with...

Would any of the ones linked out print that Prusa?