Close

Thread: M3D Printer

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by parkbobo View Post
    So if I were to cover my build platform in blue painters tape, would it make prints innaccurate due to leveling issues and the nozzle being too close to the bed for the tape. I don't know much about printers, as I am new, but those were some concerns.

So are you saying that if I get my print to fully stick to the bed, shifting would not occur? I am just looking to clarify.
    Your bed doesn't appear to be heated so yes, you must cover it in blue painters tape. Then you will need to re-level the bed to ensure the correct distance between the tape and the nozzle.

So my program originally ran PLA at 215 C, and when I complained to support, they said to up it bit by bit. And by the way, My Filament- 1/2 Pound of the PLA plastic from the M3D website
    You can google this. The typical PLA temp is between 190C to 210C.

The object that I experienced skipping with was the Body1.stl from http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:557812/#files
    I also experienced messy printing with Back_Hand_Right_Hand.stl from
    That's a very ambitious print. Start with something simpler and get to learn your printer.

And I am going to be 100% honest I don't know what a slicer is.
    A slicer is the software that slices the model and creates the gcode eg: Simplify 3D, Makerware, Slic3r, Kisslicer, Cura, etc.

Alright so recently I just tried to print a test border at 210 C and it only printed 1 side, i think because of how cold it is
    Sounds more like bad levelling to me. Take your time and start simple.

The internet is a treasure trove of information. Google google google!!

Hey man! So after you posted I have been working slowly bit by bit on my printer, and here is what I return with

Alright, so after some tests and stuff, THE LOWEST temperature I could even extrude at was 230 C. I went up from 200 by 5 degree increments. I am just wondering if it is safe to run at this temperature.

EDIT: I have found another error. So recently I started loading filament externally instead of internally, to make sure the device would print correctly. In the middle of a GREAT print, no errors, no nothing. It just stops, and freezes. I got these two errors that repeated in my "Spooler Log"
    There was an exception writing to the port: A device attached to the system is not functioning
    There was an exception writing to the port: The semaphored timeout period has ended

I had to execute a power cycle by disconnecting the power cable. Even before that I executed an Emergency Stop code and it didn't do anything. I'm worried that I might have broke something running at high temperatures like you said. Keep in mind, I have been printing for like 3 days on 240 C on semi big prints.
    Also, after restarting I can still print, however I am not sure if the error will occur again
    Last edited by parkbobo; 12-22-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Your bed doesn't appear to be heated so yes, you must cover it in blue painters tape.
    Tape shouldn't be needed. The printbed on the M3D comes stock with Buildtak on it.