Close

Hybrid View

Student
    There is a setting in Slic3r that helps avoid dribbling, its effect is to retract the filament slightly, a settable amount, it then automatically adjusts itself on continuing.

The dribbling problem occurs when the head moves from one part of the print to another without printing, it can create a small but annoyingly visible blob of material when it restarts the print, the retraction avoids this.

I don't know if any of the other slicers have this setting, I haven't used any other since 2011 but it would seem such a simple solution to the problem that other software authors would include it in their programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    There is a setting in Slic3r that helps avoid dribbling, its effect is to retract the filament slightly, a settable amount, it then automatically adjusts itself on continuing.

The dribbling problem occurs when the head moves from one part of the print to another without printing, it can create a small but annoyingly visible blob of material when it restarts the print, the retraction avoids this.

I don't know if any of the other slicers have this setting, I haven't used any other since 2011 but it would seem such a simple solution to the problem that other software authors would include it in their programs.
    What's the setting? Does it just move the nozzle up a bit? I have a problem, which is what I assume the OP is talking about, where the nozzle leaks out 3-10mm of material as the bed or hot end is heating, making a little blob or tangle that interferes with my first few layers. I don't see how moving the nozzle will fix that.

Thanks for your help on this, everyone.

BK, I've seen that in several demo videos. It looks like the extruder is pulling filament to prime everything. The user will usualy just scrape it off the nozzle with a putty knife before the print head drops.