Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    A couple of things.

How important is the appearance of the enclosures ?

You can easily print 100% solid objects on an fdm machine.

And depending on the orientation you can print really small and fine details.

And of course there is the almost limitless number of different material you can get.
    I know you can also get an increasing num ber of resins - but if you compare the cost it's a LOT cheaper to experiment with fdm materials than with resins.

Are the nubs from where the print attaches to the top plate ?
    In which case you may be able to get a sheet of something to stick on the plate to give you smooth bottom prints.

Or design a print that goes on top of the plate and has extensions that fills the holes in the late up :-)
    That would probably be the best bet - and it would also give you better plate adhesion.
    Might be a bugger getting the ptints off though as I would imagine resin would stick really well to resin.

Or simply use an epoxy to fill the holes.
    Whole bunch of ways to gt rid of the nubs :-)

It might also be worth your while to invest in a little cheap fdm machine and to experiment with different fdm materials.
    I waas thinking about something like the monoprice voxel and then I saw the one below.

Or get something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/TENLOG-Indepe...016025&sr=8-21

That will make two items at the same time.
    Looks like a decent machine, generally good reviews.
    Decent build volume.

And bear in mind that you don't necessarily need a heated enclosure.
    Pet, pet-g and all forms of pla - are fine without. As are some nylons and various other filaments.
    Even uses 300c hotends - so you can even have a play with polycarbonate and similiar hi-temp materials :-)

I wouldn't swear to it - but pretty sure it's using linear rails on the printbed - which would be awesome :-)

And look at it this way - no 3d printer ever goes unused :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-30-2021 at 08:35 AM.