Close

Hybrid View

Follow RP Iron Man On Twitter Add RP Iron Man on Facebook Add RP Iron Man on Google+ Add RP Iron Man on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Lost PLA casting, some have experimented with using solder to print circuits and simple objects. The solder flows too freely when melted which makes it hard to print, combine that with the fact that the solder dissolves the brass nozzle not many have printed in metal or even tried.
    There are also those major problems. Metal flows too freely when melted. Also, there is the problem with oxidation, thermal expansion, etc...

The only feasible "metal 3d printing" seems to be SLS (Selective Laser Sintering), but unfortunately there are a bunch of patents restricting that process...

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by RP Iron Man View Post
    There are also those major problems. Metal flows too freely when melted. Also, there is the problem with oxidation, thermal expansion, etc...

The only feasible "metal 3d printing" seems to be SLS (Selective Laser Sintering), but unfortunately there are a bunch of patents restricting that process...

Eric
    Well i've heard the patents for SLS would expire soon,
    But still those machines will probably stay quiet expensive as they are now since well, even if you made it yourself i am guessing it would still be easily 5k :P
    and i doubt the powders are cheap either.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Well i've heard the patents for SLS would expire soon
    There are a hell of a lot of patents regarding SLS, most of which are active for quite a while yet.

I believe some patent on SLS from the University of Texas expires in 2014 or end of 2013 or sometime, but I can't seem to find anyone specifying what exact patent is being talked about. Of the 3 patents U of T got in 1994, I believe they're talking about #5,296,062 "Multiple Material Systems For Selective Beam Sintering".

Student
    I lost the link, however, a few months ago, there was a website selling kits for a laser for around 150 bucks. If you look at some of the sites such as hackaday, you should be able to find a hack for those laser pointer pens to make them start fires/cut items. From what I remember, the hack is from removing the laser diode from old dvd burners. I believe that the main issue is the amount of infrared light that they emit. The following is a link for a diy laser cutter... It should be possible to use this to sinter iron powder. http://hackaday.com/2013/12/20/diy-laser-cutter/ I do not see a reason why we cant use this for SLS. We may have to use a different lens perhaps to improve the output.

In a few months, I plan on attempting this hack for the same reasons. If no one beats me to it, I plan on document my work. I cannot guarantee any of the patent availability.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DR1983 View Post
    I do not see a reason why we cant use this for SLS.
    I do. I expect you're going to need about a thousand times more juice. The laser in that thing is 300 milliwatts. The lasers used in current metal SLS/DMLS/SLM printers are in the 300-400 Watt range.