Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
Nobody pays any attention to those warnings; it's like all those toys that come with tags saying "this is not a toy - not for use by anyone under the age of 18" that the toy company lawyers attach in an attempt to avoid the strict laws governing children's toys, or the ubiquitous warnings on every building in California telling people that something in there might do them harm: http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-pro-con2-2009nov02-story.html . I thought the safety info in your original video was actually quite good - telling people not to do this on concrete, advising them to make sure anything they stick in the pot was pre-heated - this is important stuff. But
I've heard from lots of people on various forums who saw a few YouTube videos about casting metal in the backyard and were totally clueless about the dangers involved - there's a lot of enthusiasm for melting scrap metal in tin cans and flower pots and pouring it in molds made from who knows what. All I'm saying is that you should append the "lost shell" video to the other one, which has the safety info, rather than distributing it separately. There are a lot of characters out there jostling for their Darwin awards...

Well if people are going to ignore the warnings there, people are going to ignore them elsewhere too I suppose.

The point I have been trying to make, is, I wasn’t like look just stick something dangerous in a microwave (or something everyone has at home). Like: “gee-whiz folks - look how easy it is to be stupid! - you can be just as dumb as me if you want to” - and there are no end of those sort of videos that actually exist on Youtube.

The whole process takes special gear, and with that usually comes special know-how and respect - in my experience at least.

That said, the video does absolutely already link to the older video.

I am also considering making a basic foundry set up and safety video as well.

How's that deep-Z CNC router working for you? Have you worked out the 4th and 5th axes yet?

It has about 2.5 feet of useable Z and the machine works really well. I have a 4th axis going now. Haven’t really had the need for 5-axis but when I have the time I look forward to building one.

I am also finishing up a 4-axis metal lathe/mill combo conversion as well.