Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post
Well, sandpaper is by far the very best way to smooth ABS....IF it's the proper type sandpaper. You want to use higher grit emery based sandpapers. The very best stuff I have found so far is (sold everywhere, including Wal-Mart) 3M emery wet/dry autobody sandpaper. ABS also responds VERY well to wetsanding, done in the same manner as ya would an auto body.

You can also use a sandblaster, but it has to be done just right or it will destroy the print. You can use a very fine glass particulate on VERY low pressure (like seriously low...3-5lbs at the MOST) and very quick passes.

You can use acetone and Q-tips to buff any ABS print smooth. However MANY colors will 'bleach' out a bit using this process, not an issue if ya plan to paint the piece of course. There is also a method using acetone commonly reffered to as VaporBathing.
It's a bit involved so...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biLVyGDvisM

Another option that I have come to use rather alot is heat smoothing. A buddy of mine has a glass shop...I had him make me a set miniature sculpters tools out of Pyrex. I then use a propane torch to heat the tools and work parts of a print. This is not a viable method for working an entire piece, but rather for working details and hard to reach spots. It takes a good bit of practice with each tool to get a feel for how long to heat it. Scraps/misprints are great for this kinda practice runs.
Thanks. I use wet/dry "sandpaper" that comes in a role. Its the stuff I use on the lathe to polish metal. I'll try the brushing the acetone on an item to see how that works.

I saw on some website, that I can't recall, a USB powered tool for smoothing a printed item. Was about $10. I see if I canlocate it again.