Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post
Can anyone please explain to me the fundamental difference between a cartesian printer (like the Qidi) and a delta printer (like a Kossel)?
I totally understand the mechanical differences....I'm asking about the end results. When it comes to the finished product (read: print) how do they vary.

I am asking here first before I start to much research, I have come to value yall opinions and technical input. But my end-game here is to develop a printer myself. I have already said several times I want to build a printer, figured I would personally have alot more fun developing a clone than building a kit.
Kits are no fun, that's not making, its like model car.....meh.

So here are my 2 ideas..just cant decide what to go with...

First idea is a double sized Kossel. This would be easy as the original design is open source. I have noticed that all the kossel kits for sale online are about the size of original design, or mini versions...no one has upsized it seems. If i go this route I want to shoot for kossel with 280+mm round plate and 400(ish)mm on z axis.

The second ides...I found an interesting take on a I3 clone the other night
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tarantula-i3...3D131644168616
If I go for a cartesian machine its gonna be something like this...layed out a little better though.

I just don't know enough about delta printers to make the desicion between the 2.
I am a member of the Tarantula Facebook group and it has issues but nothing you can't overcome and for the price is nice. The free filament can be good, to great, or the stuff they picked up off the floor.

As far as a delta I know it is mesmerizing to watch it print BUT for straight walls you can easily pick up if it was a Cartesian printer or not that printed it. Since 99% of most every day things in the real world is straight I never went to a Delta and stuck with Cartesian printers THOUGH I was eyeing the arm style bots but that was just fascination since I always loved them as a kid watching them make cars in Detroit. For a 3d printer the cost of doing it right would be too high so all I heard was very negative about SCARA type printers (the cord to make them move gets weaker over time so you have to constantly retweak was the largest complaint I read and was told).