Close

Threaded View

Engineer-in-Training
    You don't select your media based on the printing process. You select your media based on the operational requirements of your finished product.
    I totally agree with Davo.

As R&D enginbeer I do a lot of parts for use in testing rigs. These can operate up to 60C operating temperature and contain crude oil. The higher glass point, combined with mechanical strength (I often print at 100% infill), compatibility with crude oil AND the option to acetone smooth to get 100% watertight surfaces clinch it for me.

There may be revolutionary new filaments that would do the same trick (although no acetone smooting AND being resistant to crude oil at the same time I guess), but they cost an arm and a leg. So why waste money relearning how to print the same parts with super-expensive single supplier filament (risky, they might go out of business or withdraw the product) when I have an unlimited supply of consistent quality material at low cost (and I use many, many kilo's of filament)?

Yes it smells, but that is what fume hoods are for....

I do test new filaments, but only for the future case when their specs exceed what I can do with ABS for a particular job.

PS: and yes, i do use PETG and PLA too when they meet the products specs.
    Last edited by Alibert; 05-05-2016 at 02:45 AM.