Close

Threaded View

Question Printing keys of a MIDI keyboard [wrong forum?]

Hello!

I want to replace the keys of a MIDI keyboard. The keys are going to have 12 different colors. This involves at least
    • 3D scanning/modelling,
    • 3D printing/CNC milling and
    • painting.

The keys need to be replaced instead of just getting painted because of this desired layout, repeated on the whole keyboard:
    Code:
    ASCII:                       Unicode:
    |  |#| |#| |#| |#| |#| |#|   │  ▐█▌ ▐█▌ ▐█▌ ▐█▌ ▐█▌ ▐█▌
    |   T   T   T   T   T   T    │   │   │   │   │   │   │
    |   |   |   |   |   |   |    │   │   │   │   │   │   │
    |___|___|___|___|___|___|    └───┴───┴───┴───┴───┴───┘

I want it to be as cheap as possible, yet I need stable keys, of course (the keyboard costs about 150 $). If you need to get an idea of how the keys look like inside, take a look at this page or this video at 2:18 min.

1. I'm not into 3D scanning. I only took a look into Blender with a few tutorial pages. I tried 3D scanning with VisualSFM and insight3d, but, unfortunately, wasn't able to achieve anything yet. I realized, I would possibly be able to use a fiverr.com service for that. The 3D models also need to be edited/combined to get keys that look like this. Do you know how to get 3D models of my keyboard keys (scanning at least 2 original types)? Are there affordable professional services for 3D scanning, or those from private persons? (I'm located in Germany.)
    2. Can you tell me, what creation techniques are the best? Is CNC milling cheaper and more stable? What material should be used for maximum stability and longevity at a moderate price? What postprocessing is required on 3D printed keys?
    3. What's the best and cheapest way to get colored keys? 3D printing/CNC milling in the desired colors (might not be possible), or spray-painting them?

I hope you can help me with at least some aspects of my project! Thanks!
    Last edited by t_w; 05-05-2016 at 02:42 AM.