Quote Originally Posted by flatty_420 View Post
I'm having an awful hard time getting ABS to not lift partway through the print on all but the smallest parts. Hairspray, extra hairspray, glue stick, none of them seem to have any effect on the problem. I really don't want to mess with ABS slurry.

I thought it may have been cold air currents coming in the room every time I went in to peek at the progress so I cranked the heat up in the tiny little office the printer is in and closed the door and stayed out until the print was done (to simulate an enclosure), but the same lifting took place.

I have tried a 5mm brim, tried adjusting bed heat temp up & down (90-115) tried lowering nozzle temp a bit (from 250 down to 230) but to no avail. I'm starting to wonder if it is the tiny little fan on the e3d v6 heatsink that is spraying errant air currents around on the print. Is it ok to reverse the fan so that the air is blowing away from the heatsink instead of onto it?
ABS seems to be the hardest material to get right sometimes, I have had some prints come out flawless and then larger prints just refuse to stay stuck. I am still working on getting ABS to behave. A few things have helped.

Starting with a fresh build plate with a fresh layer of Gluestick or tape. both tape and gluestick loose there holding power after a few prints.
Getting the bed Z height set, if its to high the first layer will not stick.
A brim sometimes helps.
Slow down the print speed, I have been playing with print speed and that seems to help allot.
Reduce infill when possible, more plastic means more warping from cooling.

My last print was a large shroud for a heatsink(100*69mm)/fan(92mm) combo, the print was pretty large and i had a brim, it still managed to pull up all 4 corners but the center stayed stuck, even with all the warping it was a SOB to pull off the plate.