Close

Threaded View

Hey atoff,

Yes ... we're in exactly the same position!

Beyond anything, I just want a printer that is bulletproof - something that gives me awesome prints without being a printer god dialling in a million different variables into the slicing engine - all of which seem to be dependant on each other to get that perfect combo that produces a good print. I had a VERY hard think about the MB 5th and also the ultimaker 2. I already have a reprap that can use all the opensource programs such as Cura, Slicr, etc etc etc. I'm not getting on well with having a printer that doesn't come bundled with matching software as its a case of guessing the right combo of machine, configuration, temps, extrusion values, filament diameters, fill percentages and the list goes on. So I am concerned that if I buy a printer that doesn't come with a matching software that I won't be able to dial the two into each other.

I was initially concerned about buying a printer from a company that was less renowned than MBI or similar, just in case I end up tied to a software that never gets finished.

BUT ......

I figure, if Dell have bought 5000 printers, there is no way on earth that they would get away with leaving them with all those printers without them being able to print perfectly and without working software. Dell must have faith in them and their product enough to commit! I believe they are also delivering the contract in several batches - so Zortrax know that they have to deliver the working perfect software very quickly - or risk not getting the remainder of the orders? They are probably one of the few persons that have tested all of the printers (including the MB 5th Gen) so I am going to follow their lead - plus I have seen the quality of the prints and the feedback on the printers. During the research I have done I spotted that Dell are actually selling MBI new printers - BUT they are actually using a different printer for their own company? It kind of tells you something doesn't it!! LOL

I am really on the edge of ordering the Zortrax - especially as they are printing the parts for me to see (although I think they have probably left them to finish overnight). I can't ask for better service than that. As soon as I see the finished parts I am going to place an order (provided they look good).

Cheers,

Jay

PS I know some people prefer open source rather than closed software, but I have a reprap and I just need a printer that is reliable and high quality in print. For others, they have more skill and perhaps time than I do so its just personal preference for each person I guess.
    Last edited by jayceekeys; 03-04-2014 at 02:59 PM.