Close

To design a truly original customizable trainer

I think I'm planning on posting a job interview but this is to see the reception and how it goes:
    Most people on this website have sat amounts of varying experience and their aim is autonomy and mastery. Due to this I am hosting a competition. Any software like illustrator or similar can be used to complete the designs. Because this is just a hobbyist website there is no prize it is just to become better at the skill, however if the winner has designed something exceptional they may get a portion of my start up business as a reward. As Steve Jobs' of Apple said "to put a ding in the universe" is a truly great cause and what I am offering today is just that. With this way of thinking you could make a truly transcendent product that changes our lives in a small or large way.This may be the thing that gets you up in the morning and racing to work. This is the environment we want to create with our company – the true meaning of staff welfare and corporate social responsibility
    You have to ability to be self directed whilst still caring about mastery and it being one of our core values. The task is to design a trainer that redefines what a casual trainer is. It must be aesthetically pleasing, comfortable and above all stylish with possible customizational features. For design inspiration look at t he Yeezy 350 boost and Yeezy 550.
    Anyone designing post screenshot of their idea and I'll contact you directly.

Staff Engineer
    I guess you must be in the UK; here a "trainer" is someone who deals with disobedient dogs. Those Yeezys look like fairly generic white sneakers - is the customization to be applied with paint or something?

There's been a lot of effort put into the design of this sort of shoe lately; how do you think we can do things differently from the people at Nike, Adidas, etc who work at this full-time? If we enter this "competition" and send you our design, what do we stand to win - a hearty (virtual) handshake?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

That's the challenge and that's where there is a reward.
    Haha yes I'm UK based and therefore fairly easy to tell for all Americans. Yeezy brand has proved incredibly successful and have boosted adidas sales by a significant amount so the look of these so called generic looking trainers are in someway unique.

If you're interested in a massive immediate prize I will not be able to provide that sorry. Let's see what other people can do.

Staff Engineer
    Frankly, you sound like one of those increasingly common internet parasites that want to "crowdsource" the invention of new products, and then privatize the profits. If there's no prize, it's not a competition for anything but the Biggest Fool Award.

Well if you don't want to participate why are you still on the page and wasting time with pointless comments. Ever heard the saying if you have nothing nice to say don't say it. Maybe this should apply here.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    actually one question: you say you want something original and then you tell them to make something similiar to yeezy boost (nope never heard of it either)

Okay lets assume someone gives you a design for a trainer/gymshoe/whatever-else-it's-called

What expertise do you have in 3d printing that will enable you to turn that design into a durable and practical reality ?
    Are you aware how much multi material, multi colour printers actually cost ?
    And how difficult it is to actually produce such a print.

What credentials do you have in the business world that will allow you to make a profit out of such an expensive outlay and a truly niche market ?

Basically if you expect someone to spend a helluva lot of time and mental effort designing something for you - tell us why you're the right person to turn it into a viable enterprise.
    quid pro quo.

I know all about the production part but not the designing and that is why I am asking for help and seeking a partnership within the business. Yes original is the aim but if not then something similar to yeezy's because they have been so popular recently.

I already have factories lined up waiting to make this and I have other designs which just need slight modifications. I'm aiming on getting celebrity endorsements within the next few months so it should be taking fruition soon.

Staff Engineer
    It sounds to me that you're too cheap to hire a designer, so you're trying to get people to send you designs for free. Are those celebrities of yours getting the same deal? Why would they want to endorse your Yeezy knock-offs?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by hgb1989 View Post
    I know all about the production part but not the designing and that is why I am asking for help and seeking a partnership within the business. Yes original is the aim but if not then something similar to yeezy's because they have been so popular recently.

I already have factories lined up waiting to make this and I have other designs which just need slight modifications. I'm aiming on getting celebrity endorsements within the next few months so it should be taking fruition soon.
    Perhaps focusing on those other designs and celebrity endorsements might be a better way to go a the moment.

I'm going to lock this thread, I think it's run it's course.

You appear not to want the feedback you were asking for so I see little point in keeping it open. Curious asked you some legitimate questions regarding your credentials (completely warranted considering you are here allegedly offering employment (in the form of a competition, which is actually illegal in most countries unless you have authorization) and he was met with a hostile response.

[CLOSED]
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com