Quote Originally Posted by JacobysOne View Post
I'm just curious. I've been finding interest in the RepRap as of late. The price seems right. I'm just curious what level of skill and what kind of time it takes to build a Rep Rap printer. I really want to give it a try but I'm not the most handy person in the world, if you know what I mean.
The biggest skill you need is patience. Time all depends on the speed you move and the available time you have to dedicate. Getting everything squared, and the firmware set up correctly. If you don't take your time and pay attention to details, you'll pull your hair out. I bought my Prusa I2 from someone who threw it together and then went out and bought a Makerbot because he didn't feel like tinkering with it. IMHO, it just wasn't a stable build. I have since done a complete disassembly and rebuild along with a base plate and a new wiring harness (putting the finishing touches on that now). 90% of that was done with my Leatherman Charge and bit kit plus a soldering iron. The ability to use a rachet set, screw driver, a soldering iron, calipers, and a multimeter (mainly for trouble shooting) is all you really need if you buy one in kit form. If you plan on cutting the rods yourself, a cut off saw or hack saw. Some shrink wrap or liquid electrical tape and zip ties any your ready to build. The firmware setup can seem a bit intimidating at first but there are plenty of tutorials to guide you through it, and plenty of people that are willing to help you with any questions or issues. Reprap style 3d printers have become popular class projects for high school and even middle school students. Don't reinvent the wheel. Find a video series on youtube that documents the assembly of the printer kit you purchased and do it as they do. Once you have it together and running you can then start changing things on it.
-Clark