Close

Holographic 3D Printer & Driver Patent Granted to Samsung

Once again, Samsung--which has said previously that they have little intention of entering the 3D printing market--has applied for a most interesting 3D printer patent. Mean to operate through holographs, what we see in the patent are all the basic elements for holograph 3D printing. Granted just today, only time will tell what uses Samsung has for their holographic 3D printer and accompanying driver. Read more at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/111225/samsung-patent-holographic/

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Hmmmm, Interesting..

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I don't see how an improved holographic printing process - presumably for the production of 3d photos - An increasingly profitable online enterprise - has any impact of the 3d printing of solid objects ?

A cheap desktop printer that could produce holographic photos or even cheap stereoscopic photos should sell well.
    I'd buy one :-)

Staff Engineer
    This seems like a design for a holographic camera. I appreciate the fact that Samsung, unlike IBM and others, is using the term "holographic" correctly, as a photographic process that uses a collision between a reference beam and light bouncing off an object to produce interference patterns which can be captured on film and re-illuminated to produce a 3D image. But despite what they say: "Centering around those interference patterns, the recorded images can then feasibly be 3D printed." the feasibility of this has yet to be demonstrated, as far as I know. If they've worked that out, that would be a better patent application than this one, which doesn't seem to contain anything new - I was using all those elements to create holograms back in the seventies.

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com